About this WebsiteWhen this website was handed to me, I figured it would be just a matter of updating the meeting list. As time went on, I heard more about the printed list was different from the list on the web. The list on this
website is about 200 meetings long. Each meeting has its own day, time, city, meeting name, information, location and type. In html, keeping up with the updates, inserts and deletes became tricky and time consuming.
Since I have done database work, I decided to put the meeting list into a database that can be filtered so one can find the meetings by day, time, town, with any of the previous, or all of the previous criteria. Now the
meeting list is in a database and is available for download. Look at the bottom of the page for the download button. The one who put this site together has done a good job, but technology is changing. The tools have
changed and the devices people use have changed. This website is on the list for a rewrite. The demands for the meeting list caught my attention, especially when the one in charge of keeping the list up to date, mentioned
that the list helped her to find meetings when she was first getting started. Another thing that caught my attention was when I received and email from the hotline chair about meeting that no longer exists.
What about visiters from out of state coming in for a visit? What about parent organizations wanting to be updated? The framework for the code is now on GitHub. Hopefully other groups can use this work to update and share list with other
groups. This is a work in process.
News letters, minutes, financials, and events are updated as well. A little encouragement goes a long ways.
Here is a list of items that are on the list to implement to this site:
- Connect to a mapping service for locations and directions to the meeting from your location. [Google maps is being used.]
- Rewrite the entire site to make it easier to read. [Done -- responsive web design]
- As a result of redoing the meeting list, the webmaster is no longer responsible for keeping the meeting list up to date. [Done - Working my way out of a job?]
- Produce a master page for the website so the menus will be the same on all pages.[Done - the menu is now in its own file]
- Figure a way to update the menu when a pdf is added to a folder. This will make it easier to update the menus with new newsletter, etc.[Done - pdfs are now loaded into the folder and it is imediately available.]
- SEO so people who are looking for help can find us. [Progress is being made]
- Emailing has been made easier with copyable email addresses.
- Would like to see a page for other resources: i.e. Links to other groups and links to useful sources.
Goal is to help people find their working definition for mental health so they can go after their hopes and dreams
and put the addictions aside.
- How easy is it to use this site on devices?